5 Baby Shower Ideas That Won’t Make You Cringe
Posted on 04 October 2016
Many of us have been to our fair share of baby showers, played the games and watched the present opening. If you’re sick of sniffing brown food in nappies to guess the origins and guffawing at yet another baby gift, fear not, there are plenty of options for baby shower concepts that will actually be fun for all.
Here’s five baby shower concepts that are game free, theme free and won’t make you cringe.
1. A mani/pedi session with cake!
Who doesn’t love a bit of pampering, especially when you can no longer reach your feet? A coffee and cake session followed by a manicure/pedicure or spa afternoon is the icing on the cake for any parent to be.
2. A barbeque for all
Who said the baby shower was just the domain of Mamas? A great way to prepare for the birth of your baby is to get together with all your friends and family for a big party and a barbeque is the most relaxed of all options for catering - if the weather allows. It’s a great way to see everyone before the birth, it’s a step away from the traditional afternoon tea, and a lot more relaxed and fun for both expectant parents.
3. Floral art workshop
Lots of fabulous florists are running floral art workshops these days. Start at the flower market, choose your flowers of choice, and learn how to arrange them in a gorgeous bouquet. In fact, there’s any number of crafty hobby style workshops available, from sewing to pottery to cooking to interior styling. Depending on the interests of your Parent to be, check out what’s available in your city and make that the activity of the day.
4. Private cinema screening
Is there a small, private cinema in your home town? A lot of cities have one these days, where you can choose the catering and the film, comfy chairs are abundant and so are the good vibes. Nothing like a movie marathon of your favourite flicks with your besties, this one is sure to be a winner - just make sure you allow for plenty of talk-time before or after the screening.
5. Night out at a comedy club
Sometimes you just really need a good laugh. And there’s no better place to get one than your local comedy club. If it’s improv, all the better. Dinner and a gags session, what could be better than that?!
6. A dinner party
Get a chef in or head to your Mama’s favourite restaurant with her clique to dine on some amazing food and lap up the good times. Maybe a pregnancy-friendly degustation? Maybe a hearty family style meal? Whatever cuisine you choose, there’s nothing like a dinner with your favourite people to send you into parenthood. Maybe set an early start time though, bedtime is a little earlier than it used to be for some...
Now that you’re sorted with a fabulous concept for the shower, let’s just cover the basic dos and don’ts:
- Organise your shower before your Mama to be hits the 7 month mark. She’ll still be feeling ok if not fabulous, and it won’t be a rush job.
- Follow your Mama to be’s rules - whether she wants a small affair with her 4 closest friends or a lavish bash with her top 50, give her what she wants, not what you think is best
- Pick her up and drop her home, make her feel extra special with some attention to logistics
- Cater to non-pregnant people as well as pregnant people, just because the Mama to be can’t quaff copious amounts of bubbles, this is a celebration so if the event allows for it, bring out the bottles.
- Make her the designated driver - just because she’s available to drive, don’t make her feel like she’s already driving Mum’s Taxi
- Hold the baby shower in a bar or a winery - probably wise to head somewhere where all guests and the woman of the moment can enjoy all things equally. Unless that’s what your Mama to be wants, in which case, nightclub it is!
- Let her lift a finger - she can tell you what she wants overall, but don’t let her plan any details - this should be a stress free event for her.
Tag @madematernity in your Instagram baby shower pics to show us how you change up the stayed baby shower or get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to share some more tips!